Fedora

As a non-regular Linux user I am not up to the date of the distros a who offers what or who doesn't.
As mentioned in my previous post I have been trying to get image2000 to run on my Mac OS X boxes. Since nowadays most Macs are i386 (or x86_64) I can also run any Virtual Machine software and try to compile image2000 there too. Now, this post is about two things: one thing is an unexpected distro from RedHat and the other is an unexpected requirement for image2000.

Good news first. As I was looking for a nice Fedora distro to download it came to my attention that the download page offered a Gnome Fedora, a KDE Fedora and a XFCE Fedora. I was (and still I am) pleasantly surprised by that. I love XFCE as well as CDE. I don't know exactly what it is about the window manager that makes it fell so unobtrusive.

Following the trend of making Linux installation as easy as possible I got myself a Live XFCE Fedora and got it running in a few minutes. Got to say that everytime I do this, installing a Linux VM, I get the feeling I should have a secondary OS and that it should be Linux. Sadly, last time I tried to actually do it I didn't quite manage it. Maybe this distro is worth it.

Now, the bad news. I got an i386 Fedora and it seems image2000 would rather have a X86_64 version...

UPDATE,

Good news, the x86_64 (does the x is supposed to be capitalized or not?) work just fine. Aside from the base install I added gcc, gfort, libXaw, libXext and libXext-dev.

Once again, the README file pointed me in the right direction when Ximdisp and sleuth failed to compiled. "Ximdisp/Ximdisp.dlb.linux and sleuth/sleuth.bld.linux may need to be edited" Or something like that.

Now, moving to the TEST phase. Next, I think I should try to get this running in CentOS running on 32 bit.

UPDATE II,

I got myself a copy of CentOS 5.5 i386 (7 CDs) and installed a VM. I did nothing fancy, just the base line GUI installation. I think it required CD 1,2,3,4 and 7. 

Now that I think of it, I didn't even worried about libjpeg or tcktl. I just made sure I had gcc, g77, libXaw, libXext, libXext-dev , nedit (I like it for GUI text stuff) and tcsh. Then, I just ran the installation mentioned in the README file. Everything worked right from the start. Ran a few of the test and those worked too. Here it seems that i386 did just fine.

I am going to review the tests more carefully so I can really tell if the output is not only coming but makes sense. I am really eager to try and test all of the software, particularly the helical stuff.

Comments

Popular Posts