MRC software (image2000)

Well, I have been trying to compile image2000 on my Macs (a MBP, a MP and an iMac). I mainly run Mac OS X 10.6.6, that is, the iMac and MBP do. The MP is running 10.5.8 due to some old software that was not compatible with 10.6.6. Yes, that means that said software now runs well on 10.6.6 but I been busy doing other stuff so that computer still is 10.5.8.

image2000 has as requirements very simple thinks: libjpeg, tcltk, g77 and gcc. Fairly simple, right? Yes, g77 has been dropped and now gfortran is the think but no problem there... Until I tried to compile image2000. But, I'll go through all the details so that this accounts becomes useful.

First of all, image2000 is compiled by calling a script, rebuild_image_osx, that calls several other scripts named in a similar fashion. For all of these scripts to work, an image.login and a image.cshrc. These two things were putting me off a bit since I am a bash user. Good think is the included README file is actually very useful with clear instructions as to how this should work. I mean it should work because the Mac OS X platform is not support (yeah, always having fun with these). There is some extra documentation about compiling image2000 on the old PowerPC chips which might be of extra help, but I haven't follow those or used the files provided for that effect.

Ok, so once I have the tar files uncompressed and read through the README and associated files I look if my system has all the dependencies... and it turns out that fink on Mac OS X 10.6.6 running as 64 bits does not have g77 (althought it did provided libjpeg, tcltk and gcc)... Ok, no problem. Just get all those pesky g77 into gfortran, fight?

Tried that but no luck. Then, I turned to my 10.5.8 MP. I installed g77 thanks to fink and redid the rebuild. An it worked! As far as I can tell, most everything got compiled. I can see a few executables with time stamps that didn't get updated... So, I need to test them. Also, I haven't used the Mac OS X specific files provided for PowerPC. Maybe those will further the success.

Comments

Popular Posts